Dell EMC PowerEdge R740xd is a two-processor 2U server mounted in a 19″ cabinet or rack. R740xd is the same R740, but with a modified disk subsystem. It is perfect for a wide variety of tasks which require high computing powers, storage, scalability, graphics, and other resources. You can use it to work with Big Data, analyze, store, process and transfer data, as well as to implement software-defined storage (SDS).
There is also a similar R740xd2 model with a larger disk holder, but with fewer PCIe 3.0 expansion slots and no GPGPU support.
Dell R740xd is a highly-scaleable server: you won't have to choose between high computing powers or large storage. To make this server a highly effective solution, Dell Technologies engineers gave it the following characteristics:
● Support of up to two Intel Xeon Scalable 2nd generation (up to 28 cores and 56 thread) processors,
● Up to 24 DDR4 slots, RDIMM and LRDIMM support, max 7.68 TB, 2666 MT/s. 12 slots can be used with NVDIMM,
● Support of PCIe 3.0 standard with ability to scale it to 8 × PCIe 3.0 (various combinations of x16/x8),
● Support of various network parameters:
○ 4 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps,
○ 2 RJ-45 × 10 Gbps and 2 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps,
○ 4 RJ-45 × 10 Gbps,
○ 2 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps and 2 SFP+ × 10 Gbps,
○ 4 SFP+ × 10 Gbps,
○ 2 SFP28 × 25 Gbps.
● Hot-swappable disks and various bins:
○ Front holder: 24 x 2.5'' SAS/SATA/NVMe to 153 TB or 12 x 3.5'' SAS/SATA (HDD) to 144 TB,
○ Internal holder: 4 x 2.5'' SAS/SATA/NVMe up to 25 TB or 4 x 3.5'' SAS/SATA HDD up to 48 TB,
○ Rear holder: 4 x 2.5", up to 25 TB SAS/SATA/NVMe SSD or 2 x 3.5" SAS/SATA HDD up to 24 TB.
● GPGPU and FPGA can be optionally installed on a 24 x 2.5'' chassis:
○ 3 x DW or 6 x SW GPGPU,
○ 3 x DW or 4 x SW FPGA.
The list of supported accelerator cards is available at the Dell.com/GPU.
● Software S140 and hardware RAID controllers support, including BOSS (Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem) with the ability to install two M.2 SSD drives,
● Hot-swappable power supplies: Gold 1100W 48V DC, Titanium 750W, Platinum 495W, 750W, 750W AC and 240V DC mixed mod, 1100W, 1100W AC and 380V DC mixed mod, 1600W, 2000W and 2400W.
Control and automation
Dell R740xd supports iDRAC 9 Express out-of-the-box technology: it is a proprietary implementation of IPMI 2.0 protocol to control the server as if it is right in front of you. Express level license is part of rack-mounted server, tower server and modular 600-series (and above) system scope of supply. Fee-based Enterprise- and Datacenter-level licenses include additional functionality.
Dell EMC OpenManage to easily control equipment and automate routine processes.
OpenManage Essentials to save system administrators' time spent on implementation, update, monitoring and maintenance of IT infrastructure. You can centralize control and decrease labour payment expenses.
iDRAC Quick Sync 2 technology with wireless NFC module and OpenManage Mobile app to get important notifications and monitor and control the server using your smartphone.
S for Safety
Dell R740xd is based on Dell Technologies cybersecure architecture. The server receives firmware updates and security patches during its whole lifecycle. That's why your system administrator can reliably implement critical business processes and cybersecure them.
● Secure logistics ensure that the server will travel from the manufacturing plant to the end-client safely,
● Cryptographic signature and Secure Boot protocol (part of UEFI specification) ensure data security,
● Cryptoprocessor (TPM 2.0) installed in a motherboard chipset is available as an option,
● IDRAC 9 Server Lockdown function prevents any unauthorized access and protects the server from malware (requires Enterprise-level or Datacenter-level fee-based license),
● System Erase function to remove all data (including cache and logs) from any drives (HDD, SSD, system memory) remotely, quickly, and securely. Thanks to that, you can reset the server to factory settings, dispose it or sell it after use without any risks of confidential data leak,
● Software and hardware RAID controllers.
to the previous generation of R740, R740xd server has become more energy
efficient and powerful, and has been equipped with the latest generation of
iDRAC 9. It has an upgraded M.2 SATA interface, a C620 chipset, a modern
generation of processors, more disk holder options and more power supplies for
VDI, NVMe drives support, new RAID controllers, an additional PCIe 3.0 slot and