Dell EMC PowerEdge R340 is a reasonably priced one-processor entry-level 1U server mounted in a 19″ cabinet or rack. Suitable for small organizations, branches and service providers. Unlike other basic tower models, R340 is of higher density, which makes it suitable for implementing IT-infrastructure in limited space, as well as effective solving of routine tasks of small business and remote branches.
Dell R340 is one of the most basic rack-mounted servers in 14th Gen series, so it is of small scaleability. At the same time, there is more than enough capacity to solve basic tasks. Dell Technologies engineers gave R340 the following characteristics:
● One processor of the following series: Intel Xeon E-2200, Intel Pentium, Intel Core i3, Intel Celeron,
● Up to 4 DDR4 DIMM slots, UDIMM and RDIMM support, up to 2666 MT/s and 64 GB,
● Support of PCIe 3.0 standard with ability to scale it to 2 × PCIe 3.0 (x16/x8),
● Up to two RJ-45 x 1 Gbps on the back,
● Up to 4 x HDD format 3.5'' SATA, SAS or SSD, up to 8 x 2.5 SATA, SAS or SSD with hot swap,
● Software S140 and hardware RAID controllers support, including BOSS (Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem),
● Up to two 350W (Bronze) or 550W (Platinum) hot-swappable power supplies.
Control and automation
Dell R340 supports iDRAC 9 Basic
out-of-the-box technology: it is a proprietary implementation of IPMI 2.0 protocol to control the server as if it is right in front of you. Fee-based Express-level and Enterprise-level licenses include additional functionality.
Dell EMC OpenManage to easily control equipment and automate routine processes.
OpenManage Essentials to save system administrators' time spent on implementation, update, monitoring and maintenance of IT infrastructure. You can centralize control and decrease labour payment expenses.
iDRAC Quick Sync 2 technology with wireless NFC module and OpenManage Mobile app to get important notifications and monitor and control the server using your smartphone.
S for Safety
Dell R340 is based on Dell Technologies cybersecure architecture. The server receives firmware updates and security patches during its whole lifecycle. That's why your system administrator can reliably implement critical business processes and cybersecure them.
● Secure logistics ensure that the server will travel from the manufacturing plant to the end-client safely,
● Cryptographic signature and Secure Boot protocol (part of UEFI specification) ensure data security,
● Cryptoprocessor (TPM 2.0) installed in a motherboard chipset is available as an option,
● IDRAC 9 Server Lockdown function prevents any unauthorized access and protects the server from malware (requires Enterprise-level or Datacenter-level fee-based license),
● System Erase function to remove all data (including cache and logs) from any drives (HDD, SSD, system memory) remotely, quickly, and securely. Thanks to that, you can reset the server to factory settings, dispose it or sell it after use without any risks of confidential data leak,
● Software and hardware RAID controllers.
Compared to the previous generation of R330, R340 server has become more energy efficient and powerful, and has been equipped with the latest generation of iDRAC 9. It has an upgraded a C246 chipset, a modern generation of processors, 2666 MT/s memory, new RAID controllers, up to two M.2 drives support, an additional PCIe 3.0 slot and more.