Dell PowerEdge T140 Review
Dell EMC PowerEdge T140 is a one-processor entry-level tower server for small business, branches and remote offices. The appearance and dimensions of this server do not differ from a regular Mini-Tower PC, but the internal layout is more dense. T140 is perfect for a reliable and efficient performance to the daily office tasks of the growing SMB business. It is just perfect for start-ups without their own IT infrastructure.
Dell T140 is one of the most compact servers in the 14th generation of Dell Technologies: 460 × 176 × 363 mm. Due to the its internal layout, this server does not have great scalability, but its capabilities are more than enough for basic office tasks.
One Intel Xeon E-2200 family processor (up to 6 cores), Intel Pentium G5420 (up to 2 cores), Intel Core i3 9100 (up to 4 cores), Intel Celeron G4930 (up to 2 cores),
Up to 4 DDR4 DIMM slots, UDIMM support, ECC, max 64 GB, 2666 MT/s,
- Up to 4 x HDD 3.5'' SATA, 7.2k RPM, no hot swap,
- Support of PCIe 3.0 and PCI with ability to scale it to 3 × PCIe 3.0 (x1/x8/x16),
- Support of various network parameters:
- On-Board Broadcom 5720 Dual Port 1Gb LOM – built-in,
- Broadcom 5719 Quad Port 1GbE BASE-T Adapter, PCIe Full Height – option,
- Broadcom 5720 Dual Port 1GbE BASE-T Adapter, PCIe Full Height – option,
- Intel Ethernet I350 Dual Port 1GbE BASE-T Adapter, PCIe Full Height – option,
- Intel Ethernet I350 Quad Port 1GbE BASE-T Adapter, PCIe Full Height – option.
- Software S140 and hardware RAID controllers support: PERC H330, H730P, HBA330 (external non-RAID), as well as BOSS (Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem) with the ability to install two M.2 SSD drives,
- 365W Gold power supply with no hot swap.
Control and automation
Dell T140 supports iDRAC 9 Basic out-of-the-box technology: it is a proprietary implementation of IPMI 2.0 protocol to control the server as if it is right in front of you. Fee-based Express-, Enterprise- and Datacenter-level licenses include additional functionality.
Dell EMC OpenManage to easily control equipment and automate routine processes.
OpenManage Essentials to save system administrators' time spent on implementation, update, monitoring and maintenance of IT infrastructure. You can centralize control and decrease labour payment expenses.
iDRAC Quick Sync 2 technology with wireless NFC module and OpenManage Mobile app to get important notifications and monitor and control the server using your smartphone.
Dell T140 is based on Dell Technologies cybersecure architecture. The server receives firmware updates and security patches during its whole lifecycle. That's why your system administrator can reliably implement critical business processes and cybersecure them.
- Secure logistics ensure that the server will travel from the manufacturing plant to the end-client safely,
- Data security is ensured by:
- Cryptographic signature,
- Secure Boot protocol (part of the UEFI specification),
- Intel SGX CPU instruction set,
- Cryptoprocessor (TPM 1.2/2.0) in the motherboard chipset,
- Software RAID.
Compared to the previous generation of T130, the T140 server has become more energy efficient and powerful. It became a half a kilogram heavier in the basic configuration, with an upgraded C246 chipset, an improved power supply, a modern generation of processors with more cores,up to 2666 MT/s memory, support for new RAID controllers, iDRA9, and more.