Dell PowerEdge T340 Review
Dell EMC PowerEdge T340 is a one-processor entry-level tower server for small business, branches and remote offices. Tower servers run more quietly than rack-mounted ones and are more scaleable, though not that dense and compact. Large 4U case alows to implement excellent cooling and convenient access to components in T340. You can use it to cope with a wide range of office tasks of SMB: storage, processing and transfer of data, accounting software, mail server and more.
Dell EMC PowerEdge T340 is a reasonably priced tower server for a wide variety of SMB tasks. Thanks to 5U body, T440 can be modified and adapted to your growing business needs. For that, Dell Technologies engineers gave T340 the following characteristics:
- Support for one Intel Xeon E-2200 family processor (up to 8 cores), Intel Pentium G5420 (up to 2 cores), Intel Core i3 9100 (up to 4 cores), Intel Celeron G4930 (up to 2 cores),
- Up to 4 DDR4 slots, up to 64 GB UDIMM, 2666 MT/s,
- Support of PCIe 3.0 standard with ability to scale it to 4 × PCIe 3.0 (x1/x8/x4 with x8/x16 connector),
- Support of various network parameters:
- 2 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — standard,
- 2 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — option,
- 2 RJ-45 × 10 Gbps — option,
- 2 SFP+ × 10 Gbps — option.
- Hot-swappable disks and various bins:
- Up to 8 x 3.5'' SAS/SATA, max 112 TB (8 x 2.5'' SAS/SATA (HDD) with hybrid rails is also supported),
- Software S140 and hardware RAID controllers support: PEACH 330, H 730 P, H740P, HBA330, as well as BOSS (Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem) with the ability to install two M.2 SSD drives,
- Up to two power supplies: Bronze 350W, Platinum 495W with hot swap.
Control and automation
Dell T340 supports iDRAC 9 Basic out-of-the-box technology: it is a proprietary implementation of IPMI 2.0 protocol to control the server as if it is right in front of you. Fee-based Express-, Enterprise- and Datacenter-level licenses include additional functionality.
Dell EMC OpenManage to easily control equipment and automate routine processes.
OpenManage Essentials to save system administrators' time spent on implementation, update, monitoring and maintenance of IT infrastructure. You can centralize control and decrease labour payment expenses.
iDRAC Quick Sync 2 technology with wireless NFC module and OpenManage Mobile app to get important notifications and monitor and control the server using your smartphone.
Dell T340 is based on Dell Technologies cybersecure architecture. The server receives firmware updates and security patches during its whole lifecycle. That's why your system administrator can reliably implement critical business processes and cybersecure them.
- Secure logistics ensure that the server will travel from the manufacturing plant to the end-client safely,
- Cryptographic signature and Secure Boot protocol (part of UEFI specification) ensure data security,
- Cryptoprocessor (TPM 2.0) installed in a motherboard chipset is available as an option,
- Server Lockdown function prevents any unauthorized access by intruders (requires a fee-based Enterprise-level or Datacenter-level license),
- System Erase function to remove all data (including cache and logs) from any drives (HDD, SSD, system memory) remotely, quickly, and securely. Thanks to that, you can reset the server to factory settings, dispose it or sell it after use without any risks of confidential data leak,
- Software and hardware RAID controllers.
Compared to the previous generation of R330, R340 server has become more energy efficient and powerful, and has been equipped with the latest generation of iDRAC 9. It has an upgraded a C246 chipset, a modern generation of processors, 2666 MT/s memory, new RAID controllers, up to two M.2 drives support and more.