Dell PowerEdge T440 Review
Dell EMC PowerEdge T440 is a two-processor general-purpose tower server. It can be optionally installed in a rack (standard or short depth, from 24''). Tower servers run more quietly than rack-mounted ones and are more scaleable, though not that dense and compact. Thanks to large 5U body, T440 has highly effective cooling, many extension slots, and access to all components. You can use it to cope with a wide range of office tasks: storage, processing and transfer of data, accounting software, virtualization, mail server and more.
Dell EMC PowerEdge T440 is a medium-priced tower server for a wide variety of SMB tasks. Thanks to 5U body, T440 can be modified and adapted to your growing business needs. For that, Dell Technologies engineers gave T440 the following characteristics:
- Support of up to two Intel Xeon Scalable 2nd generation (up to 28 cores) processors,
- Up to 16 DDR4 slots, up to 512 GB RDIMM, 1 TB LRDIMM, 2666 MT/s,
- Support of PCIe 3.0 standard with ability to scale it to 5 × PCIe 3.0 (x4/x4/x8/x8/x16),
- Support of various network parameters:
- 2 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — standard,
- 2 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — option,
- 2 RJ-45 × 10 Gbps — option,
- 2 SFP+ × 10 Gbps — option.
- Hot-swappable disks and various bins:
- Up to 8 x 3.5'' SAS/SATA, max 128 TB,
- Up to 16 x 2.5'' or 3.5'' SAS/SATA, max 61 TB.
- Up to 1 × GPGPU can be installed as an option.
The list of supported accelerator cards is available at the Dell.com/GPU.
- Software S140 and hardware RAID controllers support: PEACH 330, H 730 P, H740P, HBA330, external main bus adapter PERC H840, as well as BOSS (Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem) with the ability to install two M.2 SSD drives,
- Up to two hot-swappable power supplies: Gold 450W, Platinum 495W, 750W and 1100W.
Control and automation
Dell T440 supports iDRAC 9 Basic out-of-the-box technology: it is a proprietary implementation of IPMI 2.0 protocol to control the server as if it is right in front of you. Fee-based Express-, Enterprise- and Datacenter-level licenses include additional functionality.
Dell EMC OpenManage to easily control equipment and automate routine processes.
OpenManage Essentials to save system administrators' time spent on implementation, update, monitoring and maintenance of IT infrastructure. You can centralize control and decrease labour payment expenses.
iDRAC Quick Sync 2 technology with wireless NFC module and OpenManage Mobile app to get important notifications and monitor and control the server using your smartphone.
Dell T440 is based on Dell Technologies cybersecure architecture. The server receives firmware updates and security patches during its whole lifecycle. That's why your system administrator can reliably implement critical business processes and cybersecure them.
- Secure logistics ensure that the server will travel from the manufacturing plant to the end-client safely,
- Cryptographic signature and Secure Boot protocol (part of UEFI specification) ensure data security,
- Cryptoprocessor (TPM 2.0) installed in a motherboard chipset is available as an option,
- Server Lockdown function prevents any unauthorized access by intruders (requires a fee-based Enterprise-level or Datacenter-level license),
- System Erase function to remove all data (including cache and logs) from any drives (HDD, SSD, system memory) remotely, quickly, and securely. Thanks to that, you can reset the server to factory settings, dispose it or sell it after use without any risks of confidential data leak,
- Software and hardware RAID controllers.
Compared to the previous generation of T430, the T440 server has become more energy efficient and powerful, and has been equipped with the latest generation of iDRAC 9. It has an upgraded a C620 chipset, a modern generation of processors Intel Xeon Scalable, 2666 MT/s memory, new RAID controllers, up to two M.2 drives support and more.