HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Review
HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 is a two-processor adaptable 2U server mounted in a 19″ cabinet or rack. The DL380 Gen10 provides maximum performance, fault tolerance and scalability. DL380 high-density structure makes it compact solution for a wide range of tasks: databases, high performance computing, virtualization, data storage, processing and transfer.
HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 is a upper-price server for solving a wide variety of tasks in limited spaces. For that, Hewlett Packard Enterprise engineers gave it the following characteristics:
- Support of up to two Intel Xeon Scalable 1 или Scalable 2,
- Up to 24 DIMM DDR4 slots:
- 3 TB (24 × 128 GB LRDIMM up to 2933 MT/s),
- 1.54 GB (24 × 64 GB RDIMM up to 2933 MT/s),
- 192 GB (12 x 16 GB NVDIMM up to 2666 MT/s),
- HPE Persistent memory – 6 TB (12 X 512 GB NVDIMM up to 2666 MT/s).
- GPGPU can be optionally installed: 3 x DW or 5 x SW,
- Support of 3 × PCIe 3.0 (x8/x16/x8) slots for storage extension and I/O connection,
- Support of various network parameters:
- 4 RJ-45 x 1 Gbps – built-in (if installed/depends on the configuration),
- 2/4 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — option,
- 2/4 RJ-45 × 10 Gbps — option,
- 2 SFP+ × 10 Gbps — option,
- 2 SFP28 × 10/25 Gbps — option,
- InfiniBand (10/40 Gbps and 100 Gbps).
- Hot-swappable disks and various bins:
- Up to 24+6 х 2.5, max 72 TB SAS HDD, 60 TB SATA HDD, 459 TB SAS SSD + 230.4 TB SATA SSD,
- Up to 20 x 2.5'' NVMe PCIe SSD, max 307.2 TB,
- Up to 12+4 x 3.5'', max 311.68 TB SAS/SATA HDD, 44.16 TB SAS/SATA SSD.
- Support for RAID controllers E208i-a, E208i-p, E208e-p, E408i-a, E408i-p, E408e-p, E816i-a,
- Up to two hot-swappable power supplies: Platinum 500W, 800W, 1600W, Titanium 800W, Universal 800W, 48VDC 800W.
Control and automation
HPE DL380 Gen10 uses iLO 5 Standard software and hardware remote control technology: it is a proprietary implementation of IPMI 2.0 protocol to control the server as if it is right in front of you. For that, HPE DL360 Gen9 has a dedicated 1 Gbps port. ILO 5 Advanced fee-based license (purchased for one year or three years) includes additional functions.
- Fully remote server control,
- Centralized access from any part of the world for easier HPE server infrastructure control,
- No need to use physical and IP KVMs,
- Automated response to events and timed actions,
- Integrated firewall, digital signatures and other protection mechanisms,
- Control via the app with notifications about server condition sent to your e-mail, social networks, messengers, etc.
HPE DL380 Gen10 security is implemented both in software and hardware. Today, firewalls won't do the trick. HPE engineers implement protection technologies right into chips and circuits, constantly update firmware and release security patches during the whole server lifecycle. This is why DL380 Gen10 is perfect for your critical business processes.
- Power-On password,
- Setup password,
- Secure Recovery recovers critical firmware to the last working state when detecting suspicious programs,
- iLO Security Dashboard is a real-time security panel that displays the overall security status of the system and its critical components.
- iLO Silicon Root of Trust is a digital fingerprint in the chip that prevents the server from booting and working with hacked firmware,
- Tamper-Free updates — proven and secured with digital signature,
- TPM (Onboard Trusted Platform Module) 2.0,
- Workload Matching, Workload Performance Advisor provide real-time monitoring of server performance to track atypical behavior,
- UEFI Secure Boot and Secure Start support,
- Secure user data destruction,
- And more.
Differences from HPE DL380 Gen9
Compared to the previous generation, DL380 Gen10 server has become more energy efficient and powerful, and has been equipped with the latest generation of iLO 5. It has an upgraded C621 chipset, a modern generation of Intel Scalable processors, higher memory frequency and larger storage, more scale opportunities, an expanded disk holder, new RAID controllers and more.