Dell PowerEdge R530 Review
Dell EMC PowerEdge R530 is a two-processor medium-level 2U server mounted in a 19″ cabinet or rack. The server is designed to be a flexible tool for a wide range of tasks. It also strikes the perfect balance between cost and performance. Dell R530 is suitable for databases, e-commerce, high performance computing (HPC), virtualization, video streaming, data storage and analysis, e-mail server, and many others.
Dell R530 is a general-purpose highly scalable server to maximize application performance. For that, Dell Technologies engineers gave R530 the following characteristics:
- Support of up to two Intel Xeon E5-2600 v4 (up to 18 cores per processor) processors,
- Up to 12 DDR4 slots, up to 512 GB RDIMM, 1 TB LRDIMM, 2400 MT/s,
- Support of PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 3.0 standards with ability to scale to 2 × PCIe 2.0 (x1/x4) and 4 × PCIe 3.0 (x8/x16/x16),
- Support of various network parameters:
- 4 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — standard,
- 2 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — option,
- 4 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — option,
- 2 RJ-45 × 10 Gbps — option,
- 2 SFP+ × 10 Gbps — option.
- Hot-swappable disks:
- Up to 8 × 2.5 or 3.5 SAS/SATA/NL-SAS.
- S130 software controller and RAID hardware controller support: PERC H330, PERC H730, PERC H730P, and PERC H830 main bus front end adapter,
- Up to two hot-swappable supply units:
- AC: 495W, 750W, 1100W, 1100W,
- DC: 750W.
Control and automation
Dell R530 supports iDRAC 8 Basic out-of-the-box technology: it is a proprietary implementation of IPMI 2.0 protocol to control the server as if it is right in front of you. Fee-based Enterprise and Express level license includes additional functionality.
Dell OpenManage to easily control equipment and automate routine processes.
OpenManage Essentials to save system administrators' time spent on implementation, update, monitoring and maintenance of IT infrastructure. You can centralize control and decrease labour payment expenses.
IDRAC Quick Sync technology with wireless NFC module and OpenManage Mobile app to get important notifications and monitor and control the server using your smartphone.
Dell R530 is based on Dell Technologies cybersecure architecture. The server receives firmware updates and security patches during its whole lifecycle. That's why your system administrator can reliably implement critical business processes and cybersecure them.
- Secure logistics ensure that the server will travel from the manufacturing plant to the end-client safely,
- Cryptographic signature and Secure Boot protocol (part of UEFI specification) ensure data security,
- Cryptoprocessor (TPM 2.0) installed in a motherboard chipset is available as an option,
- iDRAC 9 Server Lockdown function prevents any unauthorized access and protects the server from malware (requires Enterprise-level or Datacenter-level fee-based license),
- System Erase function to remove all data (including cache and logs) from any drives (HDD, SSD, system memory) remotely, quickly, and securely. Thanks to that, you can reset the server to factory settings, dispose it or sell it on the secondary market without any risks of confidential data leak,
- Software and hardware RAID controllers.