Dell EMC PowerEdge T630 Review
Dell EMC PowerEdge T630 is a two-processor general-purpose tower server. It can be mounted in a rack. Tower servers run more quietly than rack-mounted servers and are more scaleable, though not that dense and compact. Thanks to large 5U body, T630 has highly effective cooling, many extension slots, and access to all components. The server is suitable for a wide range of SMB tasks: data storage, processing and transfer, 1С, virtualization, e-mail server, Online Transaction Processing (OLTP) in retail tradeing, control in education and medicine, and many others.
Dell T630 is a highly scalable general-purpose server with flexible configurations and parameters. It has the highest GPU potential among all PowerEdge 13th gen servers. To make T630 highly effective solution, Dell Technologies engineers gave it the following characteristics:
- Support of up to two Intel Xeon E5-2600 v4 (up to 22 cores) processors,
- Up to 24 DDR4 slots, RDIMM and LRDIMM support, up to 1.53 TB, 2400 MT/s,
- Support of PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 3.0 with ability to scale to 6 × PCIe 3.0 (x8/x8/x16/x16/x16/x16), one of which is used for external RAID adapter, and 2 × PCIe 2.0 (x8/x8),
- Support of various network parameters:
- 2 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — standard,
- 2 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — option,
- 4 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — option,
- 2 RJ-45 × 10 Gbps — option,
- 2 SFP+ × 10 Gbps — option,
- and others.
- Hot-swappable disks and various bins:
- Up to 8 × 3.5 SAS/SATA/NL-SAS/SSD/PCIe SSD (as an option with flex bay),
- Up to 18 × 3.5 SAS/SATA/NL-SAS/SSD,
- Up to 16 × 3.5 SAS/SATA/NL-SAS/SSD/PCIe SSD (as an option with flex bay),
- Up to 32 × 3.5 SAS/SATA/NL-SAS/SSD.
- Up to 4 × GPGPU can be installed as an option.
The list of supported accelerator cards is available at the Dell.com/GPU.
- S130 software controller and RAID hardware controller support: PERC H330, PERC H730, PERC H730P, PERC H830 main bus front end adapter, and internal Non-RAID HBA330,
- Up to two hot-swappable supply units:
Titanium: 750W AC,
Gold: 1100W DC,
Platinum: 495W, 750W, 1100W, 1600W AC.
Control and automation
Dell T630 supports iDRAC 8 Express out-of-the-box technology: it is a proprietary implementation of IPMI 2.0 protocol to control the server as if it is right in front of you. Express level license is part of rack-mounted server, tower server and modular 600-series (and above) system scope of supply. Fee-based Enterprise-level license includes additional functionality.
Dell EMC OpenManage to easily control equipment and automate routine processes.
OpenManage Essentials to save system administrators' time spent on implementation, update, monitoring and maintenance of IT infrastructure. You can centralize control and decrease labour payment expenses.
IDRAC Quick Sync technology with wireless NFC module and OpenManage Mobile app to get important notifications and monitor and control the server using your smartphone.
Dell T630 is based on Dell Technologies cybersecure architecture. The server receives firmware updates and security patches during its whole lifecycle. That's why your system administrator can reliably implement critical business processes and cybersecure them.
- Secure logistics ensure that the server will travel from the manufacturing plant to the end-client safely,
- Cryptographic signature and Secure Boot protocol (part of UEFI specification) ensure data security,
- Cryptoprocessor (TPM 2.0) installed in a motherboard chipset is available as an option,
- iDRAC 9 Server Lockdown function prevents any unauthorized access and protects the server from malware (requires Enterprise-level or Datacenter-level fee-based license),
- System Erase function to remove all data (including cache and logs) from any drives (HDD, SSD, system memory) remotely, quickly, and securely. Thanks to that, you can reset the server to factory settings, dispose it or sell it on the secondary market without any risks of confidential data leak,
- Software and hardware RAID controllers.