Dell PowerEdge R330 Review
Dell EMC PowerEdge R330 is a reasonably priced one-processor entry-level 1U server mounted in a 19″ cabinet or rack. Dell markets the server as an SMB and ROBO solution. Unlike other basic tower models, R330 is of higher density: it makes R330 suitable for implementing IT-infrastructure in limited space, as well as effective solving of routine office tasks.
Dell R330 is one of the most basic rack-mounted servers in 13th Gen series, so it is of small scaleability. Yet, it is of high performance: small companies can use enterprise-level applications and technologies. For that, Dell Technologies engineers gave R330 the following characteristics:
- One process of the following series: Intel Xeon E-1200 v6, Intel Pentium, Intel Core i3, Intel Celeron,
- Up to 4 DDR4 DIMM slots, UDIMM and RDIMM support, up to 2400 MT/s and 64 GB,
- Support of PCIe 3.0 standard with ability to scale it to 2 × PCIe 3.0 + 1 for internal storage,
- Support of various network parameters:
- 2 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — standard,
- 2 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — option,
- 4 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — option,
- 2 RJ-45 × 10 Gbps — option,
- 2 SFP+ × 10 Gbps — option.
- Various types of hot-swappable disks and bins:
- Up to 4 × HHD 3.5 without hot-swap + 2 × 1.8 SSD as an option,
- Up to 4 × HDD 3.5 hot-swap,
- Up to 8 × HDD 2.5 hot-swap,
- Up to 4 × HDD 2.5 hot-swap with slides.
- S130 software controller and RAID hardware controller support: PERC H330, PERC H730, and PERC H830 main bus front end adapter,
- Support of up to two 350W (Platinum) hot-swappable supply units.
Control and automation
Dell R330 supports iDRAC 8 Basic out-of-the-box technology: it is a proprietary implementation of IPMI 2.0 protocol to control the server as if it is right in front of you. Fee-based Enterprise and Express level license includes additional functionality.
Dell OpenManage to easily control equipment and automate routine processes.
OpenManage Essentials to save system administrators' time spent on implementation, update, monitoring and maintenance of IT infrastructure. You can centralize control and decrease labour payment expenses.
IDRAC Quick Sync technology with wireless NFC module and OpenManage Mobile app to get important notifications and monitor and control the server using your smartphone.
Dell R330 is based on Dell Technologies cybersecure architecture. The server receives firmware updates and security patches during its whole lifecycle. That's why your system administrator can reliably implement critical business processes and cybersecure them.
- Secure logistics ensure that the server will travel from the manufacturing plant to the end-client safely,
- Cryptographic signature and Secure Boot protocol (part of UEFI specification) ensure data security,
- Cryptoprocessor (TPM 2.0) installed in a motherboard chipset is available as an option,
- iDRAC 9 Server Lockdown function prevents any unauthorized access and protects the server from malware (requires Enterprise-level or Datacenter-level fee-based license),
- System Erase function to remove all data (including cache and logs) from any drives (HDD, SSD, system memory) remotely, quickly, and securely. Thanks to that, you can reset the server to factory settings, dispose it or sell it on the secondary market without any risks of confidential data leak,
- Software and hardware RAID controllers.