HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen9 Review
HPE ProLiant DL350 Gen9 is a two-processor general-purpose tower server which can be mounted in a 19" cabinet or rack. Tower servers run more quietly than rack-mounted servers and are more scaleable, though not that dense and compact. Thanks to large 5U body, DL350 Gen9 has effective cooling and many extension slots, while all components are easily accessible. You can use it to work with Big Data, analyze, store, process and transfer data, as well as to implement software-defined storage (SDS).
HPE ProLiant DL350 Gen9 is a medium-priced server for solving a wide variety of SMB tasks. For that, Hewlett Packard Enterprise engineers gave DL350 Gen9 the following characteristics:
- Support of up to two Intel Xeon E5-2600 v3 or Intel Xeon E5-2600 v4 processors,
- Up to 24 DIMM DDR4 slots (the figures are for E5-2600v4 processors):
- 3 TB (24 × 128 GB LRDIMM up to 2400 MT/s),
- 768 GB (24 × 32 GB RDIMM up to 2133 MT/s),
- Support of up to 8 × PCIe 3.0 and 1 × PCIe 2.0 slots for storage extensions and I/O connection,
- Support of various network parameters:
- 4 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — standard,
- 2/4 RJ-45 × 1 Gbps — option,
- 2 RJ-45 × 10 Gbps — option,
- 2 SFP+ × 10 Gbps — option,
- 2 SFP28 × 10/25 Gbps — option,
- 1 SFP28 × 4x25 Gbps — option,
- InfiniBand (Ethernet — 10/20/100 Gbps, FDR — up to 56 Gbps).
- Hot-swappable disks and various bins:
- Up to 10 × 2.5, up to 38.4 TB SSD, 20 TB HDD, 12 TB NVMe + 15.36 TB SSD,
- Up to 4 × 3.5, up to 15.36 TB SATA SSD, 6.4 TB SAS SSD, 40 TB HDD.
- Support of B140i, H240ar, P440ar/2 GB RAID controllers,
- Up to two hot-swappable supply units: Platinum 500W, 800W, 1400W.
Control and automation
HPE DL350 Gen9 uses iLO 4 Standard software-hardware remote control technology: it is a proprietary implementation of IPMI protocol to control the server as if it is right in front of you. For that, HPE DL360 Gen9 has a dedicated 1 Gbps port. ILO 4 Advanced fee-based license (purchased for one year or three years) includes additional functions.
- Fully remote server control,
- Centralized access from any part of the world for easier HPE server infrastructure control,
- No need to use physical switches and IP KVM,
- Automated response to events and timed actions,
- Integrated firewall, digital signatures and other protection mechanisms,
- Control via the app with notifications about server condition sent to your e-mail, social networks, messengers, etc.
HPE DL350 Gen9 security is implemented both in software and hardware. Today, firewalls won't do the trick. HPE engineers implement protection technologies right into chips and circuits, constantly update firmware and release security patches during the whole server lifecycle. This is why DL350 Gen9 is perfect for your critical business processes.
- Power-On password,
- Setup password,
- QuickLock, network server mode,
- Serial interface control,
- Administrator's password,
- Power switch security,
- iLO 4 supports up to 12 customizable user accounts and SSL-encryption,
- iLO 4 can be turned off for server tuning,
- iLO Advanced supports integrated directory,
- TPM (Onboard Trusted Platform Module) 1.2 or 2.0,
- Tamper-Free updates — proven and secured with digital signature,
- UEFI Secure Boot and Secure Start support,
- The chassis supports Kensington lock (on the rear panel),
- and many more.